Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Very Berry Bread & Foodie Blogroll Contest Winner







Wow! I got home last night from open house at the boys preschool and in my inbox was an email from the people at Foodie Blogroll that I had randomly won the new member of the week contest. I am getting a button in the mail and they sent the cute little picture that is on the side. I will be featured on the site for an entire week! What an awesome site Foodbuzz is and a great way to check out other food blogs. I have already made 2 recipes I found from people that exited a page and came to my blog by clicking on the Foodie Blogroll. I feel lucky now!!!



Yesterday I went through my pantry and had 2 boxes of Fiber One Cinnamon Apple muffin mix. I got them at buy one get one free and it was triple coupons and I had 2 separate $0.75 coupons so basically store paid me to take them off their hands. Now I am a muffin from scratch kind of gal, Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book is what I use for my favorite muffin/breakfast bread recipe, but I had to go out last night so I knew I didn't have too much extra time. I also had a no sugar added individual serving of apple sauce and knew I could use that instead of oil to make it lower in fat and healthier (I am all about substituting good for bad.)



I used the recipe on the box but instead of oil I decreased the water to a 1/2 cup and added 1/4 cup of apple sauce (well I doubled the recipe but the measurements above are for one box!) and instead of 2 eggs I used 2 egg whites (no Weight Watchers points in egg whites!). When I had all the ingredients in the bowl, I mixed them together and added dried blueberries, dried cranberries, raisins and 1/4 cup of bran (for extra fiber!). Yummo. These turned out so good. I made 2 small loaves and 1large loaf and for 2 points can have a nice slice of the bread and get the internal body working in the morning. And the best part is that my daughter ate a piece for dessert last night. She will only eat "very berry bread" and I told her that is what it was and she was a happy camper!



Now when your child has such a healthy low fat dessert Life is Good! But yikes I need to get my butcher block sanded!!!





My all time favorite cook book for the basics.

3 comments:

Anne said...

That is awesome about winning! I get to say I knew you "when".

The sicilian meatloaf was a hit. I ended up getting to go hand out with some friends and didn't get a bit, but the family said they liked it. I didn't tell them it had pureed carrots and celery. hehe

I am getting the craziest looking word verifications sometimes. This one is very "Scooby Doo" with the sound "doik" at the end. I'm going to just start publishing my comments with my word verification letters just for laughs.

eilzdoik

Thistlemoon said...

That bread looks awesome! :)

I am so glad that you won our random pick of the week! Thanks for the shout out!

Harmony said...

Congrats on winning! And thank you for the link back to my post on the buffalo chicken meatballs. We have the exact same taste! I love Puttanesca sauce, the berry bread soinds likem a winner and ok course the meatballs were a hit here as well!

Search Engine