Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Souper Dinner






Growing up in Connecticut I miss the cool crisp days of early fall that seemed to show up each year on Labor Day. This was back to school time and a good time to eat a nice bowl of soup and piece of bread for dinner. Since I am counting points and you can take the girl out of Yankee town but you can't take the Yankee out of the girl... I made soup last night. I had the chicken stock I made last week and needed to use it. This soup was so good. I did a nice loaf of crusty french bread and the kids even liked it!


I threw everything in the crock pot yesterday morning and came home to a wonderful smelling house. I was in the mood for Italian Wedding Soup but did not have the correct kind of pasta to make it so I did my best to improvise. And for those of you that ever try to make anything I post a recipe for, I never use actual recipes. Cooking for me is more just go with what I like and might taste good. And I am sure that is the reason I don't like to bake. Since baking is a science and cooking is cathartic.


Linda's Crazy Soup

chicken stock

1 medium onion chopped

4 medium carrots sliced

3 celery stalks chopped

1 box frozen spinach


I put the veggies in the chicken stock in the crockpot and then looked in the freezer and said hmmmmmm!


1 lb ground pork

old bread for breadcrumbs

tomato paste (or ketchup if you don't have it)

2 eggs

italian seasonings


make tiny meatballs with the pork. Season how you like. Mine were rather bland as I wanted the kids to eat them.


Put the meatballs in ever so carefully one at a time so they don't get crushed on the way down.


cook on low all day. About an hour before serving I put in a can of cannelini beans and I cooked egg noodles on the stove (my crock pot was full and I couldn't fit them in!)


place some noodles on the bottom of the bowl

add some soup

sprinkle good Italian cheese (Asiago or Grada Paddano) over top


Get a good piece of crusty bread to dip in the broth. It was yummo.


Sorry that is a stock picture but basically what mine looked like! Have a great day and life is good.

1 comment:

Laura Paterson said...

Mmmm - this looks like a grand hearty bowl of soup to start the autumn with!

Search Engine