Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Real Sicilian Meatloaf

Where has the time gone. Last week flew by in a world wind of me trying to get the house ready and menu planning for a surprise dinner party for my husband's 40th birthday. He turns 40 on Saturday but is taking the kids to Charlotte with one of his best buds and his kids. (they were born on the same day in the same hospital and that is how their moms met and he is now my daughters Godchild and husband to Under the Red Tin Roof! Hiya Anne!).


I was going to make the meatloaf for Friday night but my husband thought there was only going to be one other couple for dinner and he wanted a new grill for his birthday so I bit the bullet and bought him a new grill and I got steaks for the dinner party and paired them with a spinach salad that a friend makes and will not give out the recipe and also had the brussel sprouts that I talked about last week. They are so good and who ever knew that so many people actually like brussel sprouts. Such an under appreciated veggie!!!



I did a fall inspired table with little metal buckets that were silver, black and orange and I put votive candles in them. For the place cards I printed each persons name so it was curved (think top half of a circle) and did the men in black and the women in orange. My dinner plates were see through and I placed the name cards under the plates. I thought it was clever! Needless to say I had bought the ingredients for the meatloaf of Thursday before changing to steaks on Friday so I had to make it. We had a traditional Italian Sunday dinner with the meatloaf on Sunday night (with leftover brussel sprouts!). This is the first time in a long time I have actually had the meatloaf with red meat in probably a year! YUM-O is all I can say.




As for this week I have been bogged down with Halloween carnival planning at my son's preschool and yesterday was his trip to the pumpkin patch. It was fun and when the sun was behind a cloud there was a chill in the air!




Sicilian Meatloaf
2 lbs ground beef
bread crumbs
2-3 eggs
grated Parmesan cheese
ketchup or tomato paste
Italian seasonings
salt and pepper to taste
4-8 thin slices prosciutto
6 slices of provolone cheese
3-6 bacon slices


In a bowl combine ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, Parmesan cheese, ketchup/tomato paste and seasonings and mix. If too moist add more bread crumbs. If too dry add more egg and/or more ketchup/tomato paste. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with Pam.




put the meat on the cookie sheet and and spread out to fill it up.






Place the prosciutto and provolone cheese on top of the meat.















With the longest end of the cookie sheet facing you, grab the edge of the tin foil and pull up and start to roll the meatloaf like a jelly roll. When the meatloaf is rolled pinch the ends and the long seam and roll it so the seam is on the bottom.







Weave the bacon over the top (I didn't have any bacon so I used prosciutto which actually turned out good!)












Bake at 350 for about 30-45 minutes (until meat is cooked thoroughly). Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting. Manga!


Now with a crisp in the air and hearty food like this Life is Good!



Cambridge at the Pumpkin Patch 10.07.08






































7 comments:

Finla said...

WOw just beautiful. I have never made meatloaf like this. I am sure going to make them.
You have really explained it well how to roll them up.
Bookmarked it.

Finla said...

I don't know if i have seen this provolone cheese here, if i canot get them can i use something else, any suggestion

Life is Good said...

happy cook - thanks for stopping by. I get the cheese in the deli and have it sliced. but you can also use a block of provolone or mozzarella cheese (my mom always used mozzarella but I like the texture and tanginess of the provolone). Enjoy!

Jen said...

We would all LOVE this. I make a bacon cheeseburger meatloaf that's a hit, and I'm sure this would be even more loved. It sounds like it was a great week!

Life is Good said...

Jen - thanks for visiting. I would love the recipe for cheeseburger meatloaf. I will see if it is on your blog. My mom always made a cheeseburger casserole when I was a kid...white bread layered with meat and cheese. Maybe I should dig that one out!

Anonymous said...

Can't seem to find prosciutto where I live.. Any ideas for a substitute?
thanks.

Life is Good said...

You can use a very thin sliced ham as a substitute for the prosciutto if you can't find it.

Search Engine